As the COVID-19 pandemic broke-out in India, 22nd March 2020, 7:00 A.M – 9:00 P.M was declared as National Curfew and in response to it, away from home alone, I locked myself in my flat in Kolkata. On Monday, the 23rd March 2020, when I reached office the first question everyone asked me – “Have you not gone home? Today, 5:00 P.M Kolkata will lockdown till 31st March 2020, how will you survive?” At the last hour, I took the last flight to home and left Kolkata just 30 minutes prior to the city went for the lockdown. While in those few short n’ rush hours of leaving the city, all that was running in my mind was – “How to reach home?” The only prayer my mind was repeating alongside sorting all works is – “God, please help me to reach home safely”. And as I reached home at 10:30 P.M, there was a calm and happy feeling in me. Physically I was too tired yet the heart was joyful and relaxed.
Well, the story narration is enough to prove the proclivity of every human heart. The human heart yearns to dwell in its safest place since there alone he puts his confidence and he finds his joy. It reminds me of what the Bible says,
“Two are better than one because if either of them falls down, one can help the other up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three is not quickly broken.”
Well, in the presence of more than two in the family there is the possibility of difference of opinions which later causes a bit of bitterness. But there’s a blessing that comes within the bitterness. Since caring is the intention of everyone at the end of a little bitterness the love is reflected. That’s exactly what we experience in the daily affairs of our families. At times, the end differs due to the overpowering of intolerance in our relationships. So, the Father of our Nation, Gandhiji rightly said,
“Anger and Intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding”.
Being the citizens of one nation we are one family and now, we see the replica of our above discussion. When the entire nation is asked to “Stay home – Stay safe” on contrary we find the result of our flawed understanding in the streets – we have fed our intolerance and anger causing the virus to spread more.
In response to it, in the Bible, it is written,
“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession, and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”
Let’s rely on God and rely also on those who are in authority as appointed by God. Prayer, Petitions and Preparations are what I can learn myself during this period of lockdown and also can suggest these for all others going through this article.
Lock ’em down and knock ’em away
Your disdainful ego and pompous arrogance
Lock ’em down and knock ’em away
Those vile vices that you so hold dear
Lock ’em down and knock ’em away
Your raging fury and mindless vandalism
Lock ’em down and knock ’em away
Those clingy weights that pull you low
Lock ’em down and knock ’em away
Your venomous desire to settle scores and avenge
Lock ’em down and knock ’em away
Those discriminatory attitudes of racism, sexism and communalism
Lock ’em down and knock ’em away
Your unbelief and self-aggrandizement
Lock ’em down and knock ’em away
Those blind superstitions and irrational dogmas
Lock ’em down and knock ’em way
The sins you are enslaved to
As you are locked down against a life-threatening virus
Take time to introspect in a moment being serious
Count not the ephemeral losses that you may incur
‘coz those you anyway would lose one day
Unlock the treasures of the soul
That will make you contented and whole!
From March 16 to April 3, 2020 Belgium is under lockdown. And now extended till 19th April which will be reviewed at the end of the period bringing the lockdown period to 5 weeks in total. First reaction “Oh crap! Oh China what have you gifted to the world! My kids losing out on school and vacations. Kids at home + Husband working from home = more hours in kitchen with additional cups of tea. Headaches, panic attacks concerning how things would shape up, constant fear for the family here and overseas are definite bonuses of this quarantine period and pandemic Coronavirus. And it’s the same picture everywhere irrespective of the country we live in.
But gloom brings negativity, so thought of wearing those witty glasses on to just lighten up the mood and since everything thing under the sun has a flip side so does this quarantine period. Why not assess them once 😁:
- No “alarm”ing mornings for a while. Getting up at 8 AM is also a bliss.
- You can be you, no need to doll up. Pyjamas and flip flops would do and the comfort they provide is the ultimate.
- Since restaurants, malls and other non essential shops are closed surely you would save a lot. Don’t believe me? Check your bank statements from the time of lockdown 😁.
- You can surely dedicate few hours revisiting the forgotten shelves of wardrobe. Our old favourites do motivate us to work out to fit in them again.
- Sitting at home do make us hungry perhaps a little more often but then the free work out sessions in absense of the domestic help will surely make a difference. Trust me it works😁.
- Marriage albums and CDs bring the nostalgia moments back and never underestimate their entertainment value, mind you! Why the fourth cousin to your twice removed uncle was sulking throughout the marriage, why the cameraman was obsessed with people dining in the marriage, the over excited friends of the bride and groom, the repeated plastic smiles on the dias when the guests come and say Congratulations but they actually meant “Abhi toh party shuru hui hai” (The party has just begun, just wait and watch) – to recall those moments and stare at your partner and going back to your chores is superb fun.
Oh I am witty at it’s best 😁😎. And here comes the flying pan and BANG!!!! Bringing me down to the earth😁😁. Let’s talk some serious stuff. No I am not going to repeat what our news portals and WhatsApp universities are churning out day in and day out since the outbreak of this pandemic. I am not here to present the skewed graph of economic activity during this period or the economic impact of this inactivity. Neither I am talking about the soaring numbers of people affected directly by the virus nor I am discussing how the governments of different countries coping up with this situation etc. That anyways need deeper introspection which I am not capable of. This lockdown period has actually opended up different viewpoints to look and tackle a situation at the hand:
- At the end of this period (hopefully soon) many of us would be a better person who understands the concept of Dignity Of Labour. Our domestic helps, drivers, security guards – they are working to feed their families with the utmost respect. Poverty hasn’t made them take up wrong ways. This is what we should respect. They do work for wages but they do help us make our lives little more comfortable. Isn’t it? Treat them with respect, they aren’t our slaves. And no words of praise are sufficient to hail the great work our frontline workers – doctors, nurses, sanitation workers, police and army. A big salute to them.
- We would be a better managers. With services and supplies limited to essentials during this lockdown period the sense of responsible spending is something which I see getting imbedded and inculcated. Leftovers can be turned into a new recipe but not wasted. While people are facing cuts in salaries due to many reasons wise spending is definitely on cards. And as they any thing repeated for 21 days becomes a habit, some positives are in offering.
- For people who are during the normal days far away from the kitchen and just fire away orders will now come to know how much hard work it takes for ingredients to be turned into an sumptuous meals which they dismiss without blinking an eyelid.
- Bringing us back to the roots. As we moved to the cities and got acquainted to the fast moving lifestyle we are accustomed to the words like “automatic”, “instant”, “readymade” and gradually alienated ourselves from our roots that required patience and preparation. This lockdown period has surely stopped us to give us sometime to ponder over many questions pertaining to our lifestyles. We are gobbling up and stopped eating; gulping down but stopped drinking; showing off and stopped celebrating. Have you ever thought why our previous generations (especially our grandparents and even earlier) were happy despite of meagre comforts at their disposal? Why we are raising up our kids with supplements to boost immunity which we never heard of as kids? Our education (read mere literacy) in the wake of being logical and questioning everything has actually made us mock everything we didn’t get a hold of. We mocked our culture, age old traditions (not all traditions are primitive and illogical), simple lifestyle of limiting the needs because scooping out more is our mantra. And this race has actually put us in the line of fire of mother nature who surely has her ways of setting the spoilt brats straight. Her warning to us this time : “Slow Down A Bit, Go Back To Your Roots”. This lockdown period is bringing out positives as now we have family meals together, cooking and eating healthy instead of buying in a jiffy, bonding between generations is building up, the importance of our traditional practices (one petty example : every house in southern India have turmeric laden doorsteps, started decades ago to check various infections from entering the house) is being realised. Surely it’s time to realise the difference between price and value!
- When we would step out of this confinement period clear skies and waters would greet us. Ozone layer is self healing. Our race to earn has hurt the heels of mother nature really bad. She is cooling her heels now, please wait inside.
- And yes this would actually open up new avenues of opportunities to those who can think differently. New business ideas are surely going to mark their arrival. Mark my words.
I can come up with numerous ways how this critical moment is working the right ways for us. The prism through which we look at an issue at hand matters. Human race has witnessed many more crucial and defining moments in the past as well – world wars, famines, catastrophes, viral outbreaks like the current one. This isn’t new and isolated. And everytime human bounces back strongly , this shall pass too. For that we need to be selfishly responsible for ourselves and our family, in that way we are serving multiple number of people and the country. And when this time passes we need to strive to bring out the better version of ourselves – compassionate, empathetic, considerate, rejuvenated!
Amidst all this chaotic tense atmosphere the irony of human nature that has come forth is : when people were supposed to go to their works they strongly wished to stay back home and relax. Now when they are supposed and obligated to stay at home for a greater cause they want to loiter outside. Not to abide, not content define us pretty much. On contrary we must be thankful that we have a roof over our head, we are safe in our haven and with people who care for us.
A Request: Wait for sometime to quench your thirst for adventure. This is not the time for all you would buy is pain and suffering in wholesale. And for the rest this quarantine period is no less than a challenge.
Are You Ready To Take Up This Challenge Thrown At You?
So what is the first thing that comes to your mind, when you hear the word “Locked”? Loss of freedom, Imprisonment, a safety tool or a precautionary weapon? You see, it is all about perception.
The world is in chaos right now. Thousands have been shot across the globe, not with guns or roses but with an outbreak of the very famous “Coronavirus”. Spreading rapidly, it’s on its way and with no destination, it seems arrived. It has rooted its seed, leaving no traces behind. Precaution by staying home seems to be the only drug that can stop giving life to Corona.
Now, are we cribbing to be locked in our respective homes? Well, let me assume the answer depends on how well one is actually aware of the consequences of stepping out at times like these. How about utilizing this given opportunity to the optimum use by staying indoors. Some may be working from home, some may have found a new hobby or some maybe bored to death. Again, perception, you see!
So, while we are sitting at home and battling against corona, allow me to bring to you kind notice that the air is fresh, waters are clean and the roads are pollution-free. In short, Mother Nature is healing. Are we?
This Lockdown has proved, no amount of money can keep you safe from this virus. No piece of expensive clothing, shape of body, color, caste or religion can make this virus surpass you.
I hope this lockdown is opening doors to various realizations and teaching us to spend our time on things or people, which didn’t matter then.
- Spending Quality Time with your family.
So, when was the last time, you went on a vacation for more than a week with your family, to a destination called “Home”. Agreed, we were all surrounded with so much stress, negativity and work pressure, we thought happiness is only outdoors. This is the time wherein one can fill the communication gaps, clear the air of misunderstandings, have healthy conversations, get to know each other well and mutually work on bringing back the lost spark in relationships.
- Being contented with what we have and that is enough.
Now, let’s be honest, no Swiggy or Zomato can replace the warmth of love in food cooked in our very own kitchen, which is way healthier and good for our pocket too. How about, taking this as an opportunity to try few recipes for those who don’t know to cook or maybe even jolt them down for future. I hope we have come in terms with the fact that, this Lockdown is teaching us to appreciate and be satisfied with what we have by practicing Minimalism.
- Patience level put to test.
For introverts, this lockdown may be a boon, but for extroverts, it may not be so. Imagine, if it was not a lockdown due to a virus but an actual WAR? Would you still crib about not able to go out? Would you still crib about nothing to do at home? Then why crib now? At the end of the day, the moral of the story is to embrace the situation, learn to survive and acknowledge that we are privileged and not rant about it. Learn to be patient, in the process.
- Building Values.
Teach our children resilience, the art of survival, life skills and gratitude. Respect each other, overcome greed and motivate sharing. Learn what humanity is all about. No profession is small. I hope we make sense of things and I hope we get to live them very soon. Let us look forward to continue carrying the lessons learned in the coming days and hope it won’t wither away with this lockdown.
What is Isolation for me? “A destination, one should frequently travel to, to rejuvenate oneself.” I hope and I pray, we all are rejuvenating ourselves, knowingly or unknowingly. So, stop cribbing, slow down and live the moment.
We are soldiers battling for our Nation and our family.
Stay Safe and Remain Healthy.
Take good care of yourself.
(Visit Ms. Archana Dipu’s personal blog at INKEDTREATS )
I have heard from my elders how they went into a situation like this, ‘Lockdown’ during the war against Pakistan and during the World Wars. But this time, it’s bit different. We don’t have to switch off the lights, stay hiding inside our rooms, stop looking outside popping our heads out through the window, wonder if the bombs fall on us and so on… But sometimes, we so underestimate the gravity and severity of a situation that we behave so funny and childish. When deaths are constantly rising every moment and there are 100% chances of financial crash-down worldwide we are worrying about just a lockdown.
It was so funny to see how people so quickly reacted when the announcement was made by our PM about a complete lockdown situation:
- “How boring it will be staying at home for so long?”
- “We can’t go out to meet our friends…”
- “We have to do all the household works as maids won’t be available…”
- “How will we spend our times all day?”
- “I have planned to watch Netflix all day long…”
- “It’s nothing more than imprisonment…”
- “What will we eat? Same food again and again?”
All these we could update on our Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram statuses, expressing our irritation and worries because we are still not hit by Covid19 directly. We are still on listening and reading the news mode. God forbid, once one of our family members gets infected, we will surely forget how to express or react.
Am I out of these lot? No way… I am part of the same crowd who tends to get bored and irritated. Although my answer was different when someone asked me seeing me loitering outside my room, “Bored???”
I shook my head and said, “NO!! I am quite habituated with this lockdown situation from the very beginning of life.”
The person who asked me, understood what I meant and walked away acknowledging my response.
I was wondering – ‘What lockdown means to me?’
1. Retrieving what I have lost: Suddenly when I have a lot of time at my disposal, I was happily scrolling away the pages of Pinterest on my phone and I came across an image of a beautiful paper-art. I felt an urge rekindled to let my fingers create something similar to what I saw. I cursed myself for not foreseeing this situation and buy colours, brushes and marble papers for paper-arts and paintings. I remember, how much I used to paint and draw pictures when I was a student. I had lost everything with an excuse of being busy in life.
I have made up my mind, that I am going to retrieve everything that I have lost and this lockdown will help me to give a kick start till I live on this earth.
2. Recreating what I have left unfinished and undone: I am known as a motivator and a person who initiates. But sadly, I want to confess that I am not good at continuing things or finishing it. I started to write a book, I started to plan for studying a Biblical Counseling Course, paid for it as well… I started to plan for a music album… Urgh! I have kept everything pending, unfinished and undone.
I just pray, “God, give me that enthusiasm to recreate all that I have left unfinished and undone utilizing these period of lockdown”.
3. Reinstating what I have kept detached: Yesterday, my cousin sister requested me to give her time so that she can connect with four of our families to see, talk and pray with each other considering the situation we have been facing now. The time was fixed and we had little problem with network but finally we could gather to have a video chat with each other, laugh, smile and ultimately pray for all the people suffering around the globe. And in the night while on my bed, resting my head on the pillow I was thinking, “Why I am so detached with all? I am not a person like this… why I stay away from people for a year or so?”
Everyone knows how I build relationships. And that’s what I love to do – investing my time in people’s life. Even I was feeling so uncomfortable when I was passive about this favourite thing that I love to do… But I did start connecting with people again, building new relationships and restoring the older ones during this lockdown period.
Trust me, I am going to reinstate every friendship, relationship that I have kept myself detached from.
4. Rearranging what I have left messy: Indiscipline, distractions and waywardness bring down someone into utter chaos and mess. I allowed it somehow to be in a mess for last two or three years.
Reasons? I can’t explain.
I might justify my life being not as bad as others, not as much in the mess as others but my heart knows it should not be like this anyway.
Okay! So, I have a lot of time to repair, rearrange, reorganize my mess and bring it back on the track by re-surrendering myself in His divine care. Surrendering life to God doesn’t mean resting peacefully…but to rework all the more and strive for making my mess, mesmerizing.
5. Reprioritizing what I have ignored: God and the purpose He has in and through my life is my priority. I confess, I have kind of ignored it for last couple of years. I don’t want to give excuses by blaming my illness or life situations. I understand, I might be faltering yet God does and will pull me back every time I go astray but I am desperately seeking His strength to help me reprioritize and stay focus on Him and the purpose that He has for me while I am alive in this world.
This lockdown gives me enough time to pray and gain strength from Him to see the people and their needs through His eyes, His perspective. My heart moves with compassion when I look at those people suffering and dying without fulfilling life’s eternal purpose. My heart cries. This lockdown made me kneel down on my knees and pray for them and feel for them which I could not have done it if I would have been in a Covid19-less normal situation.
Lockdown means, a lot of time for me to work on all the above 5 RE’s along with whatever emergency work that I could do from home or by going to the office as I live in the same campus where my office is located. You might think these points are not relatable to you, especially the last RE, but I know they are. You never know, how devastating the post Covid19 period will be than the present state of affairs due to Corona-virus.
So, let this ‘Lockdown Period’ be the most important period of your life apart from all the enjoyment and entertainment that you have planned, assuming you and I would survive and beat Covid19… Uhhmmm 😛
Stay at home and keep pondering on 5 RE’s…
19th May 2012 evening, it was raining like cats and dogs with thunderstorm and lightning, more than two feet height water was flooding in almost all the parts of the city. Drainage systems were blocked, people and street dogs were searching to shelter under the flyovers, bus stops and at the vendor shops veranda. In the midst of this chaotic situation, the undeniable challenge before me was to board the train from Bhubaneswar railway station at 19:30 hrs for my monthly staff meeting. Somehow, a known Auto-rickshaw driver was convinced to drop me to the railway station. Half-wet trying to save my laptop bag in one hand and my travel bag in another hand, I managed the roller-coaster ride at the backseat but as I reached the railway station I get to know many trains were canceled and like mine one all the rest of the trains were rescheduled to depart after 3 hr since the railway tracks were underwater. Finally, my search operation for a seat in the crowded platform was successful. After an hour, my phone rang, it was one of my field staff who went to his village somewhere in Bihar and got locked due to flood. Frightened and in a mumbling tone he said, “Sir, there is news everywhere on the city billboards, television, F.M and local newspaper that ‘tomorrow the world is going to destroy’ what will happen to us tomorrow!” In a fraction of second, a bolt of huge lightning falls on the train electric wire above the platform and there was a rain of fire. After a minute of silence, I asked, did God told you that He will destroy the world tomorrow? He replied, ‘No Sir’. I said, Alright! Switch off your phone, have a good dinner and sleep. We will talk the day after tomorrow morning.
Spreading a rumor to a thousand ears is making it believable.
We have turned believers of the majority. We talk, a majority must be granted! I think, often we overlook a simple truth ‘in our world the majority are liars’. It’s profound, the spreading of a rumor is easy and is carried ear-to-ear at a good speed. Alongside, among the thousand voices and ears of rumor mongers, the voice of reasoning will appear a bit or more of less strength and before the brain pauses to reason another voice of rumor monger knocks to repeat what is heard. The Bible says,
For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work, but it will be exposed when the believer of the Truth will hold it back and will continue to do till he is taken out of the way. Then the lawlessness (liar or rumor monger), who had not believed the truth but had delighted in the wickedness will be revealed and condemned.
Self-isolating from rumor-mongers is breaking the chain of spreading rumors.
Self-isolating from the majority is prior to exposing a rumor. Thinking unlike the rumor monger requires the attitude of reasoning. E.g.: Monger: “He is a corrupt professional.” Reasoner: Just a minute, is it real? What is your reference point? What made him soil his hands in corruption? I haven’t experienced him in any of my transactions with him! Can we take some time to analyze the reality and then counsel him to renew the attitude of his mind?” The God of the Bible says,
Call to me, I will give you wisdom and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.
The reasoning is the timely implementation of knowledge in reference to the Truth resulting in the exposure of rumors.
Rumors cannot be exposed unless the knowledge to discern the lie in the appearance of truth is done within due time. Timely implementation of knowledge is wisdom and it paints the picture of a wise attitude. The wise attitude to anything that has been presented is reasoning. Reasoning always looks for the reference of the truth. Because it is the truth alone imputes justice. Justice is all that we expect at the end of every statement. In the Bible,
Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.”
Image source: tech crunch, trump-twitter
Rumour and gossip have been around for as long as mankind existed. Many a thrones have toppled, relationships broken, careers made or destroyed because of rumours. In olden days through word of mouth the rumours were spread from one person to another and like a classic case of Chinese whispers everyone adding their own twist to it used to spread like wild fire across the town.
But these days with the advent of technology rumours have got wings i.e. the social media. This Social media takes just hours even minutes for things to go viral. And everyone who reads it or sees the video believe it to be true without applying their mind.
I have seen live examples of it. People I know who see some edited video on YouTube and get enraged because so and so person said such and such thing that they took offence to.
‘Wait a minute Bro! do you know for sure it happened?’
“Yes I saw it on the Internet’
My dear boy understand not everything you read on WhatsApp and watch on YouTube or Face Book or Instagram or Twitter is true. Even articles looking like authentic news website articles are not true at times. Just because there is a picture or a video with the article does not make it the truth.
‘What is it then?’
It is FAKE NEWS. Where deliberately hoaxes, rumours, misinformation is propagated as news. They are presented as factually correct news. And mostly propagated through social media. It is done by satirical news websites or individual websites with an incentive to propagate false information, either as clickbait or to serve a purpose
This kind of rumour mongering is done so professionally that at times it becomes difficult to differentiate between what is real and what is fake.
The 2016 Presidential Election in the US were marred by so many articles giving fake news and rumours and I am sure must have affected the outcome.
In India if you may have noticed that if there are any chances of communal riots etc the Government first puts curb on Internet services as the rumour mongering and infuriating people with fake news is at its best during those times.
During these difficult times of COVID Virus attack and lockdown everywhere, we are all feeding on the news we get from WhatsApp. All sorts of precautions and medicines and other means are being propagated. Some are true some don’t make sense at all. I have come across at least 5-6 conspiracy theories on who started the spread of Coronavirus. All of them cannot be true.
Let’s not be the educated illiterate. Let’s not fuel this fake news industry. They want us to fall prey to their designs. Let’s not be the graduates of ‘University of WhatsApp’. We need to be alert. Verify everything before forwarding on social media. If its not possible to verify please do not forward it.
For latest news and updates follow only the News Channels. Please don’t propagate false information. Maybe we realise that its only a rumour or story going around but someone somewhere out there is believing this to be true. And irreversibly changing his/her mindset.