Advice is very common and most of the time free too, right? We have no shortage of advice regarding anything under the sun. Every second person is ready with a set of advice for you! I am the 7th (6 Candelians have already given you advice this week 🙂 )
Yes, it’s free and doesn’t have a price tag either. It comes without asking and flows in when you don’t even want! Sometimes, it really helps in distress, but sometimes it becomes a pain to even listen to it. Pronto! You still racking your brains guessing about it!
I am talking about ‘Advice’ and in this article, I am going to give you the same from my bag of experiences.
1. Don’t neglect your health. I agree that for every teensy-weensy problem, rushing up to your physician is a complete no-no. But, if the problem persists for more than a couple of days, please don’t risk. I once did the same by neglecting my mild backache and had to spend more than one year to get it back to normal. The next time I had lingering pain in my head, I didn’t wait for more than a week and consulted the physician, who got my MRI done as the pain wasn’t going with the medication given. Thankfully the headache was only because of the accumulated mucus in my sinuses.
2. Don’t let anyone’s negative thoughts weigh you down. I know its difficult, especially if people with negativity are present in your environment, polluting your mind. They may be your colleagues, so-called-friends or relatives. When it’s impossible to change your surroundings, wear a mask. Yes, neglect those who don’t make you happy.
3. Do the things you like. Try to do the things that you wish to do, that make you happy. Don’t wait for the right moment. Of course, if finances are involved, you need to post your plans, but otherwise, don’t wait for tomorrow, because tomorrow is ambiguous, and life is too short. That doesn’t imply that you don’t save for tomorrow!
4. It’s ok to be selfish sometimes. This advice is especially for the moms. We get so much involved with our kids, doing round the clock job that we don’t get time for ourselves. Whenever we succeed in doing so, we feel guilty about being selfish and thinking about ourselves. Trust me it’s completely normal to feel that way and there’s nothing to feel remorseful about it. Taking time for yourself = being happy = happy mom = happy home!
We people have no time to care for others. But when it comes to giving advice, we are always ready. The reason could be varying. One can get advice at any point of a life such as when the person is sick or when the person is moving to a new place. Even if we don’t know the other person, still we can’t keep calm without giving advice to people.
Well, I too count myself into it. And so here I am to give my advice to my readers:
You are what you think of yourself. No one in this world knows you better than ‘you’ and, therefore, you need to believe in yourself. Your caliber is hidden in you and will shine only when you allow it to come out. The moment you stop believing in you, your caliber and talent disappear! Sometimes, people might feel, you can’t do a job because you have incapability. Still, you do the job. Why? Because you do not stop believing in you and that is your biggest strength.
Love is one of the most beautiful feelings in this world. Not a single human can remain untouched by love. But that doesn’t mean you need to have someone with whom you can have a romantic relationship. Before falling in love with someone else, love yourself. Pamper yourself. Do things that make you happy and lively. Let your smile spread like a cool breeze. If you can’t love yourself, you won’t be understanding the true meaning of living and you won’t be able to love someone else.
Eliminate Toxins From Your Life:
Every single person in our lives comes with a purpose. The purpose can be to love you, or to befriend you, or to make your life hell! Yes, there are people who love playing with someone’s emotions and feelings. They will come into your life and will pretend to be a well-wisher but at the same time will stab you in your back. They won’t be happy in your good and will find ways to drag you down. So, why to entertain such people in your life? If you think a person is making you upset and fills you with negativity, just ignore them and avoid meeting them without any second thought. But don’t keep grudges or hate them. Help them when they need you, but maintain your dignity and distance. The world is already full of toxins. Do not add more in your life.
Live For Your Dreams:
Dreams are the reason we start to believe in ourselves. It is the thing that makes us aware of our talent and capabilities. It is a motivation for us to go ahead in life. So live for your dreams. Do what you can do to turn your dreams into reality. You have got one life therefore, make sure to make the best out of it. Once you start to work for your dreams, you get a step closer to your dreams.
Motivate Others And Become Productive:
The aim of our life should not be to fill our stomach only. It should also include the motto of motivating others for something good. Let people know what they are capable of. Life is not when you breathe and earn for yourself. Life is when you help others to do something productive and meaningful. Become the reason for someone’s happiness. And that is when you will be able to say that you lived a life.
This five advice are my principles of living. I like to maintain my principles and work accordingly. It makes things easier for me.
So live your life by believing and loving yourself, eliminate the toxins and help others.
While the word ‘advice’ in itself, when given for free…is not appreciated from friends and family, the same advice coming from a professional, seems more authentic.
From Medical professionals, Counselors to Life Coaches – everyone has advice to offer. What makes me then – as a blogger not to do the same?
So here goes – I am going to try and keep this very simple.
- In the hustle bustle of life that we live in – traffic, people chatter, fire crackers, hawkers are some of the sounds we hear on a daily basis. But amidst all of that, if you are able to hear the music of another person’s heart, take the risk, enjoy the dance and spread the happiness around. Trust me, the music is like of no other.
- While ‘Verbal Communication’ may be the best way to get the message across to people – However, always REMEMBER the words you stitch together are powerful and saying what you mean is as much crucial for self-confidence and the way you portray it to the world, else words are just letters put together without meaning.
- The ‘Emotional Injection’. Infuse that in every sentence you speak. Speaking with emotion conveys much more than what an otherwise normal conversation would contain. Invest in people. Be BOLD, AUTHENTIC and VULNERABLE, most of all be yourself.
“We’re all human and emotion unites us”
- The ‘2 Ear 1 Mouth’ Rule. Listen More, Speak Less. Life has become more of a “You have a problem, I have a solution” situation. Sure you do.. but maybe that’s not what I need right now. I just need someone to listen to me? Getting into someone else’s business is delicate, but if they themselves want to share, we can surely LISTEN for a change. Can’t we? Some people just need to talk. At best, we can listen with a SMILE.
- Give 89%. The 11% is for your understanding that sometimes it is perfectly OKAY to be a bit selfish, to place your needs first, or stand firm on something. Be it in your relationships, at your work place or trying something new.
Giving advice is a privilege and it should never be taken for granted, and the above 5 points is my small contribution to the ever-growing list.
Let us also not forget that the sole purpose of giving advice is to help someone.
Is it just me who thinks that Counselors are on the rise in India? Or is it just that the number of problems have escalated? If the problems aren’t too BIG, I’m sure you’ll find your answers/solutions in reading Candles Online. We’re never short of it.
As we peregrinate across life’s meandering pathways, certain facts come alive to us – some that have been passed on by wise people of the yesteryears, some that trusted elders have shared over generations and some that we ourselves discover. While all such pearls of wisdom do not come in a one-size-fits-all garb, there are certain generic overarching ones that are meant to be the guiding lights for everyone’s feet.
There are five such messages that I would like to share with the readers of Candles Online – those principles that I myself strive to practice and profess at all times seeking strength from God.
- Love all – Two heavy weighted promising words, advised with ease but need to conquer too many battles of the mind to attain fruition. Love is an attribute instilled in the human heart by the Creator who is Love. Because God is Love and He has created man in His image, there is always the yearning inside every soul to love and be loved. No exceptions to this! Think for a while, when you want your desire for love to be fulfilled by people around you, isn’t it also imperative that you strive to fulfill the same desire in others? However, we tend to cage love within self-drawn boundaries. There are times when this seems best. Think of someone by whom you have been hurt. Doesn’t it seem impossible to even think of loving that person ever again? But, this is what God expects of us. “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.” It is no big deal to love those who love you and care for you. (Well, actually even this is falling short in the world today!) But, to love those who hate you, seems to be an other-worldly attribute that is too hard to think of. This is where human strength and understanding need to tap on God’s strength to show the same grace to others that He shows unto us day by day in spite of our iniquities.
- Increase your latitude of acceptance – Each of us has a different set of values, thoughts, attributes, beliefs, and lifestyles. What is commonly observed is that we find difficulty in accepting anything that doesn’t match ours. With rising intolerance in the world around us, differences are projected as reasons for exclusion. Affinity is often defined by similarities. However, it is prudent to note that God has created each person differently, blessed each one with certain strengths and weaknesses and put everyone together. God is not foolish in His design. He accepts us as we are and loves all! He causes the rain and the sunshine on all without discrimination. If the Creator doesn’t show the disparity in His love and acceptance, who then has taught us to differentiate and segregate? Do spare a thought about it in quietness. The only areas of non-acceptance and non-compromise ought to be sinful ways – because sin is against the nature of God. Let us accept people with differences and learn to love them. Love permeates barriers of all sorts!
- Strive to know the truth – Children are taught values and mannerisms by parents. And, they carry them forward. That is how customs and traditions are born and sustained generation after generation. This is what makes each family, each culture, each race unique and different from others. While imbibing what is passed down to us, it is important to know things for ourselves as well. In a day and age of rampant consumerism, commercialization, and digitization, many mindless practices are in vogue. To top it all, every action is rationalised. To give an example, last week I came across ‘July 29 – National Lipstick Day’. Well, nothing against wearing lipstick; I too wear them. But, something called National Lipstick Day seemed to be a bit too much (my personal view). As I researched into it, I didn’t find much reason for the day’s observance. We are part of such and many other beliefs and practices. It is essential to know the truth behind all things before following, observing and aping anything that is passed down to us or is being practiced around us.
- Prepare for failure – With loads of motivational videos, self-help books, and success mantras, everyone is eager to conquer peaks. While there is absolutely no problem with this, it is also prudent to realise that failure is an inevitable part of life. We all fail in various areas of our lives. One may be a successful entrepreneur but fail in managing relationships. Another may be a doting wife and mother, but fail in finding employment. Failure in one or more life areas doesn’t make one complete failure. Once we understand and prepare ourselves for this, no failure can bug us. No matter how many times we fall, we will rise up again. But, we need to be prepared for failure so that we can cope with it when required. This is where many of us fall short leading to undesirable consequences. Think of the many people who have grown bitter because of the refusal of a love proposal or the many youngsters committing suicides by the years because of examination failures or unemployment. While we cannot evade failure, loss, rejection – these are never the endpoints of life. The preparation to accept failure has to start as early as in childhood when a child is refused chocolate or a toy or permission to go out and play on occasions as and when parents feel the checks and balances necessary. This is when children learn to accept ‘no’ while understanding that nothing else changes – their parents’ love remains intact.
- Guard your tongue – Though the tongue is small boneless part of our body, it has the power to build lives and to tear apart others. Words have immense power. So, the wagging tongue needs to be controlled. Many an unwanted word has caused widespread damage in all ages. Avoid gossip, slander, backbiting, lying, false accusations, abuse, dangerous plotting and blasphemy. Let each word that comes out of our mouths enabled by the tongue be words of edification, encouragement and prudent admonition.
Each of these points is one that I have learned at some point of time in my life. These are not mere lofty idealistic advices. No matter to which part of the world you belong to, I’m sure that with a little thought you will agree to each of these.
Stay tuned for thirty more words of advice from the Candles Online writers!
“I reached the crossroads where I had to choose between living and dying. I chose to live.“
Imagine the life of a woman who fell in love with a man and left her parents for him, at the rebellious age of 17. Her love story had a disastrous end when she left her abusive husband who was also a drunkard and a drug addict. With no finances, apart from her two children as assets, she had arrived at the life’s crossroads. She chose to live and is now an independent flourished businesswoman.
She is Patricia Narayan, director of Sandeepha Chain of restaurants in Chennai. Starting with a negligible income of 50 paise per day, her earning has touched ₹2 lakh per day. She started with making and selling jams and pickles, and now owns a restaurant chain. It’s all because of her determination to live and succeed. She didn’t give up at any point and continued to struggle.
We often arrive at that point in life where we are clueless to go. The life comes to a standstill and we think that this is just the end. It’s easy to give up and wait for the right time. But, to keep working hard and not giving up is difficult.
Above-cited is just one example. There are so many people in real life whose hard work, determination and the ‘never give up’ attitude has made rags to riches, misery to success stories.
Try finding out such heroes near you. Someone might be struggling at the workplace, someone might be having a terrible marriage or someone might even be working hard to earn a loaf of bread for the family. The point is they don’t stop doing their work but, keep on working harder and harder. They don’t blame the destiny for their ill-fate, but try to make their own future by finding a way out.
So, keep knocking that door. Who knows the door may be answered the next moment!
there is a lilt
in our words
when blue moons
meet dark skies
serenaded by silent
cause feelings are
the ones that float
in salt water
longing for the
softness of pink lips
in a warm night
oh! did I say hard
nope, feelings are honest
we don’t have to talk
about them ~
pain is a
but words find it
seeps out of cracks
where we hide
in plain sight
no one can find us
as we make
to glue back
our torn skin
into beautiful words ~
words were never
meant to be called
is not an option
when you crawl
contoured verses ~
our hearts hold
but the fear of
‘never’ is kinder
but ‘perhaps’ has options
just like poetry
it cuts too deep
also pulls us out
let us empathize,
and changes us
of free flows
straining out the pain ~
all we are left with
in a different
of darkness ~