Parenting is a huge responsibility for which most couples land in, with their eyes wide open, ears sharpened and mind quite boggled. Even then it is a huge responsibility. It is not easy to convince each other to reckon with the transition and adapt to it. But once you are a parent- you are always a parent, be it just for one kid, two or three or more. Parenting is not a cakewalk, it involves lots of hardships and commitment. As the couple enters into parenthood, they are responsible for a life that is growing up among them. It is not easy to understand and provide solutions for every instance, because in every instance a different solution looks appealing to the child.
Most people enter parenthood, expecting joy, the soothing presence of a baby, the sense of parenting, happiness of seeing a baby smile – but is that what it is all about?
A smile is worth -when you have undergone sadness. Happiness is worthwhile only when you know the harshness of sorrow.
Parenting is all about committing yourself to your child as a couple. A child must be both parents’ responsibility. But if you look out in our society, we might stumble upon many families, where one of the parents has to take up the whole commitment. Most of the couples, after a child is born to them, leave the complete responsibility to one shoulder and burden them. It always happens and none share the responsibilities and finally, parenting becomes the secret dagger to blame the partner for lack of commitment.
Parenting is all about commitment. There are many things to keep in mind when you are a parent.
- It is not a single effort- As becoming a parent is not just a one-person effort, it is important to realize that, the task must be shared. The child is equally both mother and father’s responsibility. The sooner you realize it, the better the results.
- Give time –Time is essential. Parenting is not just about having a child. Parents should dedicatedly give time to their child and also ensure they spend it as a family. Mostly as kids grow up, they become independent and might not completely need parents to help them. I personally believe that a child should be given a requestive amount of attention at a very young age. This is the time when bonding happens.
- Kids rely on their parents, hence be their rock: Kids rely on parents for everything, from the very beginning. It is important to be their support, but it doesn’t mean you have to be there for everything, few things they should be let to experiment on their own. All you need is to offer a hand of help, they might not need it but will be happy to hear from you. As a parent, your commitment must be to guide them, as well as give them space to decide on their choices.
- Share your responsibilities: Parenting is a big task, hence it is ideal when sharing is done. Taking care of your child is not just one of the parents’ duties. A happy mother or father can only make a happy family. To get a happy mind, relaxation is important. When one of the parents takes up the whole responsibility, they get exhausted and will not be able to do it well. Both mother and father need to share their work so that the other person doesn’t get drained.
- Understanding: This is something that washes away quite soon in a marriage. You need to understand and support your partner in parenting too. He/She might be confused, hence understand their plight and be supportive.
Even though parenting is something unplanned, there is a joy behind every moment of parenting. At times when I am exhausted, juggling around the responsibilities, end of the day, I feel like I am dead, but the moment my kids come and hug me, I feel energized.
In the end, the joy of being a parent is in the touch of your little one. There are no best or good parents – all are just work in progress parents.