As a kid it is natural for everyone to have doubts in mind. The very inquisitive nature makes them question and explore. I am sure to get hands down on this one 🙂 Still don’t believe me? Ask your parents how inquisitive you were or better observe kids around. I am sure you would get your answer.
So as a kid (when I was younger than 10 years), I still remember my mind was a house to n-number of doubts and thoughts that were funny at the face value which I realised later and thought, “What the hell I was thinking?” Let me give you a glimpse of doubts that once popped up in my mind:
- Buffalo/cow inside the machine: Yes, you read it right. Just like the vending machines for soft drinks we used to have vending machines for milk as well. Those in Delhi would understand instantly, Mother dairy I am talking about. As a 6-year-old I used to go with my mom for milk and as soon as the token gets in, milk comes out. For few more years to follow I used to think there might be a buffalo or a cow inside that takes the token and gives milk in return.
- Board exams: Whenever I used to listen to people talking about “Board” exams I used to imagine that it simply means that the questions needed to be answered on a black board. I used to ponder over “how many black boards will be provided for a class of over 40 students?” I understood much later that “Board” refers to an organisation.
- Carpentry is easy: I used to think carpentry is nothing but imagining a shape in mind and cutting the wood accordingly and there was anyways fevicol (adhesive) available. Would you believe me if I say how stupid I was when I tried to cut an unused cricket bat to make furniture for my doll that too using a blade (that goes in razor). Can’t get even a deep cut!
- Pencil Tree in the stomach: One of my aunt (in order to make us not to put pencil lead in mouth) used to say if you eat the pencil lead you would have pencil tree in your stomach. I used to think what would happen if we actually eat the lead. Soon we would have pencil tree inside our stomach and the pencils would grow right out of our mouths and we don’t have to purchase pencils again. Creepy thought, isn’t it?
- Cable TV Wires: Those were the days of cable TVs, cable connections (I mean cable wires) running from one building to another. I used to think if something sits or is put on these cable wires the same image we would have on our TV screens. For example if a bird has perched on these cable wires everyone would see a bird on their TV screens.
- Television Transmission Techniques: Similarly I used to think that a picture on television is a result of actually something going behind the screen. Remember Mahabharata on Doordarshan, I used to think people are actually fighting behind the screen and horses could come in front of us anytime soon.
Weird imagination, weird thoughts and doubts, aren’t they? Do you have too? Then share it… 😉