Heart, a hollow muscular organ that pumps the blood through the circulatory system by rhythmic contraction and dilation. In vertebrates there may be up to four chambers (as in humans), with two atria and two ventricles. This is the definition for heart if you search it’s meaning on Google (Phew ! People working at Google do have a lot of free time to research any these things).
Then what is the Proverbial Heart ?
If that palpating mass in our chests doesn’t feel anything then, then what is it that won’t think, but feel ?
Oh My God! Is it all mind ???
So all those times I said “my heart will go on” or “don’t go breaking my heart” or “hand on your heart” or “shape of my heart”, they were all in vain. It means that I was always thinking, thinking from the mind, and never feeling from heart, it means that there is nothing called as “selfless love” or “unconditional love”. That emotions are nothing more than hormones? Hormones like Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, Norepinephrine and Epinephrine, Serotonin, GABA, Dopamine, Acetylcholine, and Oxytocin.
When your heart beats a little faster on seeing that someone special, it’s just Estrogen, all those lovey dovey games, those tiffs were just Estrogen. When he stammers while talking to her, cause he likes her so much, is Testosterone, when you feel scared of darkness, when you feel anxiety to see a loved in hospital, when you get that “adrenaline rush”, on the swings, that amusement to see your baby copy you is Norepinephrine and Epinephrine. That calmness and confidence brought on you by your mother’s touch is Serotonin. That woozy relaxed stupor to play scrabble with your dad is GABA, and that feeling depressed to have not met your best friend is drop in Dopamine levels. Those fat tears you shed when your husband left for US were an overdrive of Acetylcholine and the immense overwhelming connection you feel after making love is Oxytocin.
Now, too much that can be said and discussed about hormones and about brain, we can go on and on, all this said and done, I have tried to let you into a sneak peek of the workings and doings of these Hormones.
p style=”text-align:justify;”>Now for another perspective at what our brain is capable of doing I wanna show you a glimpse into our day to day activities influenced by its mystical power over us. Brain is a mysterious labyrinth of facts and fictions, dreams and realities, fears and phobias. Here are some cool brain facts :
1. Have you ever noticed that sometimes you walk into a room to get your glasses or your pen and as soon as your cross the door you forget why you came there, what were you looking for? It’s called “Doorway Effect”, walking through a door cleans our memory slate momentarily. Wow, now I can tell my mother, it’s not forgetfulness but “Doorway Effect”(I can see her expressions, LOL)
2. There is also a belief that the creative people have a more stimulated right side of the brain compared to the those who are more analytical and have an left brain dominance! Let my friend call me dumb next time, she will know that I just have a creative right brain compared to her drab grey matter.
3. Ever tried tickling yourself? I bet you all did it (oh come on, in washrooms, in front of the mirror?) and realized it won’t happen, you can’t tickle yourself because your brain knows the difference between external touch and your own personal touch. I double up laughing if someone shows me a wriggling finger from 5 feet away.
4. We all have felt “Déjà Vu” one time or another, it occurs when your brain tries to apply a memory of a past situation to your current one, fails to do it, and makes you feel like it’s happened. I get really spooked to get Deja Vu, I thought it might have something to do with reincarnation, thank god ! Just imagine, me a queen of some abandoned fort and a mighty prince kissing me as I sleep, Ahem Ahem, let’s not get carried away with my fantasy world.
5. Has anyone ever told you that, you are a negative person, when you felt your decisions end up in a NO? A recent study has found that, when faced with decisions, the human brain’s weird, default response is to say “no”. No man, just last weekend I told no to a trip to Goa with cousin. Must use it to Your benefit, next time you wanna make your hubby take you to movie just ask him “shall we spend all day at home?”, and watch him say NO.
6. Do you know, that our brain is only capable of maintaining 150 stable relationships ? HUH! I will be glad if I can maintain just five, including one with my mom. Kudos to that man who can keep 150 girlfriends secret from each other.
7. The fact that disturbed me the most is when a person dies, they have 7 minutes of brain activity left. It’s the mind playing back the persons memories in a dream sequence. I never stopped thinking what went through my father’s mind, I am still haunted by it. I like to think that he was thinking of me.
8. How many of you day dream and feel shy about it? Do you know we keep altering our memory to make the perfect memory ? Mind spends 70% of it’s time replaying memories and creating scenarios of perfect moments. My school life was mainly sitting at the desk and staring into nothingness as I drooled from the corner of my mouth, nostalgic fond memory na ? Ohk Ohk, I know it’s gross !
These are just a few facts, brain is a multi layered phenomenon and it hasn’t been completely unlocked as of yet, though men would say women have more complex brains than them, but I would advise you all to know in your hearts that your every decision, your personality, your dreams and nightmares, your phobias and manias are all generated in mind. So next time when you say, “you make my heart melt” or “you are safe in my heart” or “let’s have a heart to heart talk” or “Home is, where the heart is”, You might be thinking it as your HEART.. but actually it’s only your mood and feelings where BRAIN is the sole proprietor of all these…
p style=”text-align:justify;”> Friends, don’t be confused, I haven’t lost all hope in heart… 😉 This was just something I often wonder, so just gave words to my random thoughts, hopefully someday I will write down in favour of heart, and present to you the other side of the coin. And that thing you are feeling right now, is not in your heart.
Remember! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!