There are many reasons why don’t people set goals. Some of them are mentioned as under:
1. PESSIMISTIC ATTITUDE: Some people often have a pessimistic view towards life. They only look at the negative side of everything rather than the positive ones.
2. FEAR OF FAILURE: Before trying to attempt something, some people often give up thinking, “What if I don’t make it?” People feel subconsciously that if they don’t set goals, they can’t fail. But they are failures nevertheless… for, having no goals is the sign of failure.
3. FEAR OF SUCCESS: Low self image or fear of having to live up to their success causes some people to fear even their success.
4. LACK OF AMBITION: Our limited thinking prevents our own progress. There was a fisherman who while fishing used to throw the big fishes back to the river and keep the small fishes for himself always. A man watching this unusual scene asked the fisherman why he was doing so? The fisherman replied, “because I have a small frying pan.” Most people never make it in life because they are carrying a small frying pan i.e limited thinking.
5. FEAR OF REJECTION: Some people are worried of what other people will think if they are not able to make it. They are scared of being rejected and criticized by their family, friends, relatives, neighbours, etc.
6. PROCRASTINATION: We all procrastinate at some point of time in our life. But procrastination only leads to build negative attitude and leaves us in a regretful state of mind. Some people practise procrastination by hiding behind high sounding words saying, “I’m analyzing”. And six months later they are still analyzing. What they don’t realize is that they are suffering from a disease called “Paralysis by Analysis” and they will never succeed. There is still another breed of people who procrastinate by saying “I’m getting ready”. A month later they are still getting ready and six months later they are still getting ready. They are suffering from a disease called “Excusitis”.
7. IGNORANCE OF GOAL SETTING: Some people have no one to encourage them to set a goal. They think they can be successful in their life without even setting a goal. But they ultimately end up in failure and start blaming their fate.
Are you thinking the same way and not setting your goals ahead?
— Arpita Dutta